March 14, 2010

Vinnai thaandi varathe !

How could music be so shallow? Being a part of an one year MBA program, I am not that up to date with the genre and class of tamil film music releases these days. Should I call it unfortunate that I stumbled upon two songs - 'Omana Penne' and 'Hosanna' - Vinnai thaandi varuvaaya in Youtube? Terribly dissapointed is the least I could say. There was a semblance of music, no strong tune or feeling in both these songs. As is the characteristic of AR songs, both of them sounded the same to me. Even if you put forth the argument that it is usual practice to listen to AR songs multiple times before you really like them, both were beyond this line.

In contrast, I had listened to the Sikkil Gurucharan rendition of Swathi Thirunaal's ' Omana Thingal" few weeks back and what music that was ! It was a fusion of piano and vocal and nevertheless can be classified in to mordern genre, but it was way beyond the mindless music that I heard today.

Over the ages, the only thing that we have achieved with big strides in technology and the vast literature that has been left to us is to dilute the greatness of popular music. Kudos !

3 comments:

  1. I definitely subscribe to the thought that you have to listen to AR's music multiple times before you judge them..In fact i wasn't very positive about it in the beginning but now i started liking it....you cannot dismiss a music from a genius like AR just like that..!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well every genius has his own bouts of bad music. Even the great isaignani had those. I found this to be really substandard

    ReplyDelete
  3. AR Rahman's songs are sterio type and its seasonal. But Ilaiyaraja / MSV's are "Kaalathaal Azhiyaathavai" You can hear at any time. Ilaiyaraja would have been awared an "OSCAR" a long back. I think you agree with me

    ReplyDelete